Defining the Record Label Role in Music Industry
A record label, can simply be interpreted as a company or an entity that has technical knowledge and expertise on performing such duties as;
- Marketing of recordings with reference to music in this regards
- Releasing of music videos for promotion of music recordings using motion pictures to interpret the songs or performance of an artist.
- Record label can also be task with the responsibility of manufacturing all related music marketing and promotional materials including sales materials such music recordings, merchandise and distribution of such materials
- Record labels can also act as a publishing company ensuring all recordings, merch materials and other trademarks are published under copyright. Depending on the size of record label, it may carry out its publishing duties by partnering with other major publishers to execute this aspect of its mandates.
- One of key role of record label in the music industry is executing programs of talent discovering, talent development and also administering contracts with artists and their personal managers.
- It’s also part of record label duties to publicize artists activities through its media relations and media outreach programs that promotes artists works, merch and tours.
In a nutshell, a record label is an entity or company that does the following;
- Talent Scouting
- Talent Development
- Manufacture of final music products such as CDs, Videos, Merch copies and others
- Distribution of all music recordings and recordings products
- Copyright of musical works or trademarks copyright monitoring
- Releasing or publishing of musical recordings or trademarks for all forms of commercial use. While collecting and distributing royalty commissions of such commercial uses to artists.
- A &R simply refers to ‘Artist & Repertoir’ a particular segment of the record company that deals with talents including scouting and development.
- Publicizing all artists recordings including audio, videos and merch
That’s about some of the major duties of the record label. Other’s might be included or removed depending on the contract-type an artist is willing to enter into with label.
DEFINING THE ARTISTS ROLE IN MUSIC INDUSTRY
In a setting of the music industry, the recording artist’s role is mostly hinged on the talents he or she has got. But before we get to that, here are some of the primary roles of the artist;
- Record music compositions
- Perform music compositions in public for an audience
- Compose original lyrics for recording
- Develop and perfect unique performance styles through regular rehearsals.
- Perform paid or charity concerts as they case maybe
- Appear in all kinds of promotional interviews
- Abide by contracts signed with record label if applicable.
So, folks, judging from the above, the artist or the recording artist really have lesser of industrial contribution other than using his talent.
As a matter of fact though, the music industry is actually built around the talent of the artist. And this is fact. For the fact that without the artist, there’s no music industry and no music industry, simply translate into no entertainment and no entertainment, finally means, there’s no life. That’s the bottom line.
Follow the Podcast and hear the audio conversation as Christopher Odiley tried to find who’s the boss.