Sharing music for free ! Hmmm… Any benefit? This is a crucial practice that has become a torn-in-the-flesh. A question that cannot be attended to from another perspective.
If you had been into music all your life, like me, you shouldn’t be wondering why am I skeptical about sharing my music for free anymore. Not to say I hadn’t done that in the past. Basically, as a young artist, your desire to get your music out and let it be heard by the entire world, could be overwhelming. This on its own has also become part of the dream. But is it worth it to be dishing out your music to everyone all over the world to listen or enjoy for free? Have you ever thought about it nor have a little bit of second thought about it? If you haven’t already, then read on…
What’s the Primary Goal of Free Music Sharing as an artist?
Earlier in my career, there were key factors that would prompt me to freely share my music:
- A more cordial way of promotion within your circle of friends, family and everyone who knows you as an artist.
- Reaching far and wide in the world of digital space powered by social media, apps and platforms
- Chasing the power of online radio to help you stream your music to millions of fans around the world.
- Sharing your music with FM radio stations and others for possible playlisting.
- Sharing your music video for TV Playlisting
- Sharing your music for streaming on YouTube and other video sharing platforms
The list of where you share your music from sound-cloud to audio mack, etc the list just goes on and on.
Benefit of freely sharing your music as an artist
Oh okay, after mentioning the list, do I have benefits now? Yeah! Right!. There is a great benefit if you are sharing your music for promotional reasons and search for exposure by some of the platforms above.
But other platforms will mean almost not much as you might just be adding to their library, almost aimlessly. Although some people said they had collabo chances and even record deals through Soundcloud, etc, these might just be a very tiny drop of waters in the ocean.
Offering Free Downloads for Self-Promotion of Your Music – Does it Help?
- Because of the world we are living in today, everyone is now privy to the internet and all the thousands of apps around. So building the audience for your music has never been this easy. But what are the overall benefits of publishing your music all on the free services apart from likes, dislikes, follow/unfollow, comments, etc?
- Free Downloads has become the norm in recent years. What does this mean? This simply means you are giving away your music that you had invested all your talent, money, and energy to people for free.
In the real world of business, or living in general, I cannot name one service that people or companies render for free. But the music artist who is often regarded as “starving artist”, will put all resources into his craft, but yet give it away for free. That’s confusing, right? Yes, it is. Although some will argue that sharing your music for free will build your audience. But this theory has been proved wrong also in some quarters.
This article will go on without end if I continue pouring all the questions and answers that needed to be dealt with in the process of artists sharing their music for free. Its a very emotionally broad topic, depending on what your goals are, but it will be helpful also for the music artist to stand still a bit and think for once too.
The times are changing fast, and the music artist needs to buckle-up and start respecting his work as well. At Morgeez, we have set up platforms that can actually benefit the music artist such as the Morgeez Artists Portal, the Morgeez Music Licensing Portal, etc.
The context of this article is among many reasons while Morgeez has also set up the Morgeez Mentorship Program. Take advantage of this and equip your self with the knowledge required by the Music Industry.
Leave your comments below. Thanks for reading!